- the word "conformity" is quickly climbing to the top of the list of most ironic words in the english language. if it's not immediately obvious to you why, you either have never used the internet or you are part of the reason.
- some things are immensely popular because they appeal to the lowest common denominator. and that's fine, i guess, but it is what it is. but other things are immensely popular because they're fantastic. like how dark side of the moon still sells upwards of 400,000 records a year.
- speaking of the sublime, i read raise high the roof beam, carpenters last night. that story just fucking blows me away and i could just write pages on it, but i'll spare you the bubbling. what i wanted to mention was salinger's dedication at the beginning of the book:
"if there is an amateur reader still left in the world--or anybody who just reads and runs--i ask him or her, with untellable affection and gratitude, to split the dedication of this book four ways with my wife and children."
- why do so many people who clearly intended on being famous hate it so much when they get there? is it as bad as they make it seem? nobody forced you to submit those stories to the new yorker, JD.
- i would probably hate it too. but that doesn't mean i'll never try.
- i really thought i had more things on my mind i wanted to write about tonight. you don't start a list unless you can make it to at least 10. or at least i don't. usually.
- made it.
09 January 2006
peas that rattle in a can
Posted by mikey mcclenathan at 10:12